The institute from its period of inception has undertaken various scientific projects and has organised several national and international seminars in the field of disabilities. The notable ones are stated below:
- The epidemiological survey of Learning Disability among school children in Kerala.
- The epidemiological survey of Developmental Language Disorders and Cognitive Disorders in the rural population of Kerala.
- School based rehabilitation program of children with Learning Disability (UNDP funded project).
- Maternal Training program for management of children with Autism.
- Multimodal stimulation for rehabilitation of developmental motor, language and cognitive disabilities in children.
- National seminar on Child language disorders.
- National seminar on Autism
- National seminar on Dementia.
- National Conference on Autism
- I International conference on Neurology, Language and Cognition 2000
- II International conference on Neurology, Language and Cognition 2002.
The Institute has already registered, treated and is under follow up of nearly 16,000 children and adults with various types of developmental disabilities and non communicable neurological disorders including autism, Learning Disability, Mental Retardation, Cerebral Palsy, Multiple Congenital Anomalies, Epilepsy, Post Stroke Syndromes, Dementia, Parkinson’s Disease etc. The patients are coming from various parts of the country and also from abroad like Maldives, Malaysia, Singapore to this Institution for treatment and rehabilitation.
The Institute has developed various treatment strategies and rehabilitation programs for different disorders. The Institute has brought out various research papers which were published in Peer reviewed International Journals. The institute is arranging various training programs for Doctors, teachers and other Para medical professionals.
In the light of above factors it is felt that ICCONS under SRCCD is to developed as an Institute of National Importance and a Deemed University.
The project intends to develop the following facilities
- 1. Hospital service which include Outpatient care, Inpatient care, Intensive Care Unit, Operation theatre, and Emergency Services.
- 2. Rehabilitation service to be strengthened in the areas of physiotherapy, speech therapy, behavior therapy, occupational training.
- 3. A special school with residential facilities for training children with autism, learning disability, mental retardation and physically challenged under the age of 18 years.
- 4. A vocational training centre for males as well as females above the age of 18 years with various disabilities.
- 5. A Day Care Home and Occupational Therapy centre for persons with Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and post stroke syndromes.
- 6. A High Risk Maternity and Infant Hospital with High Risk Maternity Ward, high risk infant ward and child development unit.
- 7. Developing human resources – ICCONS is already conducting courses approved by Rehabilitation Council of India and affiliated to Calicut University and the Kerala University of Health Sciences. The additional courses to be started include undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Clinical Psychology, PhD programs for Doctors in Cognitive Neurosciences and Cognitive Neuropsychology, M. Phil and PhD programs in Clinical Neuropsychology and Clinical Psychology, M Phil and PhD programs for speech pathologists.
- 8. Research & Development: The project envisages research and development unit with facilities for genetic study, metabolic study, Neuroendocrine evaluation as well as option for development of newer medicines both in modern and integrated medicine.
- 9. A Biomedical and Bio-technology Engineering division & Computer Engineering Division. An Engineering college will be started for training of graduates and post graduates in this area and for development of biomedical instruments related rehabilitation and treatment.This includes development of Cochlear implants; Programmable Hearing Aids; Audiometers; Electroencephalographic and Evoked Potential Machines, Rehabilitation equipments for movement therapy and electrotherapy. Application of Nanotechnology in investigational and treatment fields of Neurological Disorders will also be developed.
- 10. A Genetic Division to deal with advanced research in molecular genetics mainly oriented to venture in areas of treatment and prevention of disabilities and also in the application of genetics in genetic engineering and stem cell development for treatment and prevention of non-communicable and developmental disorders.
- 11. A Bio-pharmacology Division for the development of various pharmacological agents especially in the treatment of conditions like mental retardation, autism,cerebral palsy, dementia,epilepsy and other cognitive and communicative disorders.
The present two centers at Shoranur and Trivandrum will be developed and there will be strengthening of the activities of the community outreach centers.
In future course, community outreach centers will be established at all block PHCs and later on it is proposed that four regional centers and one central institute be established to achieve the goal of the entire project.